Autorun Organizer: adding .ahk file issue

Questions and comments regarding Reg Organizer, Registry Life and Autorun Organizer.
Meddly

Autorun Organizer: adding .ahk file issue

Post by Meddly »

Thank you for the excellent Autorun Organizer!

Trying to add an .ahk file (AutoHotkey script) to startup. My 2 PCs:

PC1: recently upgraded from Windows 10 x64 1809 to 1903. File is added successfully (tried both HKEY_CU/LM) but when Autorun Organizer tries to launch it at startup (with or without delay) I get the Windows 10 prompt/list "How to you want to open this file? with a bunch of programs available, except AutoHotkey. I close the prompt with Esc and the file is not executed. .ahk files are properly registered and when I double-click one, AutoHotkey.exe is launched in the background as it should.

Also, something unusual on this PC: AO keeps launching my delayed entries even before I've logged in. So, if I wait 1-2 minutes before entering my Windows password and then log in, everything is already launched. Is this to be expected?

PC2: clean 1903 x64 install: items are launched only after I've logged in, which seems the norm. The AutoHotkey issue also occurred at first, but after a few retries it works and is now properly launched with a delay (HKEY_LM worked, HKEY_CU didn't).
Meddly

Re: Autorun Organizer: adding .ahk file issue

Post by Meddly »

Found a workaround for the .ahk issue: created a shortcut for it in the Start Menu\Programs\StartUp folder. AO picks it up from there, and it is properly launched and delayed.

I clean-installed 1903 on PC1, too. AO still launches the programs before the user logs in. This does not happen on the other PC so I'm not sure what's the intended behaviour.
Chemtable Software
Developers Team

Post by Chemtable Software »

Hello,

Thank you for interesting in our product.

Regarding the entries launched before logging. This is correct behavior because this is the way the Task Manager which is used to provide the delayed load functionality is executing a task.
Meddly

Post by Meddly »

Just reporting that the .ahk issue isn't really solved. I was only randomly able to delay it a few times (cannot reproduce it) and almost always the "How do you want to open this file?" prompt will appear when trying to launch and delay it with AO.

Quote from this article:

if you enter the AHK script path directly in the “Program or Script” field, Windows might not launch the script at system startup. After setting up the Action, this is what it looks like:

schedule-autohotkey-action-created.jpg

I couldn't try this with AO since it does things differently in the Task Scheduler.

And a small AO request: add a "run now" item in the right-click context menu.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chemtable Software
Developers Team

Post by Chemtable Software »

Hello,
Meddly wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:14 am Just reporting that the .ahk issue isn't really solved. I was only randomly able to delay it a few times (cannot reproduce it) and almost always the "How do you want to open this file?" prompt will appear when trying to launch and delay it with AO.

I couldn't try this with AO since it does things differently in the Task Scheduler.
Yes, Autorun Organizer currently does not support delaying the startup items other than applications and shortcuts to them.
Meddly wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:14 am And a small AO request: add a "run now" item in the right-click context menu.
Thank you for the suggestion, we'll think about adding this.