Crashing on monitoring

Questions and comments regarding Reg Organizer, Registry Life and Autorun Organizer.
UnhappyRRR

Crashing on monitoring

Post by UnhappyRRR »

I have emailed Support about this and had nothing back, so I am posting here in the hope that someone will be embarrassed enough to take notice.

Reg Organizer crashes when it is trying to see what an install has changed. Sometimes it doesn't and mostly it is only when the installed app is run before logging changes (to record any post-install setup). Today it crashed with a plain install where the app wasn't run.

Code: Select all

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	RegOrganizer.exe
  Application Version:	0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:	00000000
  Fault Module Name:	StackHash_df0f
  Fault Module Version:	6.1.7601.23714
  Fault Module Timestamp:	58bf8715
  Exception Code:	c0000374
  Exception Offset:	000ce8fb
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:	2057
  Additional Information 1:	df0f
  Additional Information 2:	df0fd988f236ae6145b5578e98c510b5
  Additional Information 3:	4450
  Additional Information 4:	445065057cc02ba95881e22edc414230
As I said in my email, doing this once is quite off-putting, but sometimes these things happen. Doing it more than once is unreliable and one wonders what the point of using this software is. If I didn't mind not having an install record I wouldn't waste time using it in the first place! Doing it most times, as it does now, is a waste of money since I'll likely never trust it again enough to use it for this purpose.
Chemtable Software
Developers Team

Re: Crashing on monitoring

Post by Chemtable Software »

The problem is clear but it is hard to find the reason causing it unless we can reproduce it on our systems. If you have any thoughts, which may help to reproduce the problem, please let us know. For example, if you assume that some specific software installed in your system may cause this problem, please inform us. Alternatively, if you have recently changed some system settings, which you believe may be associated with this problem, let us know that as well.
UnhappyRRR

Post by UnhappyRRR »

Sorry for the delay in coming back - circumstances overtook me (and I forgot to turn notifications on).

There have been changes (apps installed!) but nothing significant or related that I could point to. Normal Windows updates. I have no idea what I might be looking for since I don't know the details of how your app works. I assumed it would just take, effectively, a snapshot and then after install take another and compare the two. In that case, the only thing I can think of is the compare process - the snapshot would be common to the start and end, and the installer being monitored doesn't get a look-in. Or does it work in some other way?
Chemtable Software
Developers Team

The changes detection don't use the snapshot comparison (if we are talking about the latest versions). It reveals occurred changes "on-the-fly".
If you'll have any information which helps to reproduce this problem, please let me know.
UnhappyRRR

Post by UnhappyRRR »

What kind of information would be useful? I tried it again yesterday with ColorPic. A real simple app so shouldn't cause any problem. It crashed again, after install and after hitting the forward button. I would love to send you the information that would tell you what the problem is, but I don't know what you're looking for.
Chemtable Software
Developers Team

We'll try to install ColorPic with tracing, thank you.
UnhappyRRR

Post by UnhappyRRR »

So, a few months on there are no improvements. Still, I can use the app for registry stuff meanwhile.

Oh, I can't - now I find it crashes when I click the 'startup applications' tab:

Code: Select all

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	RegOrganizer.exe
  Application Version:	0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:	00000000
  Fault Module Name:	StackHash_e8ff
  Fault Module Version:	6.1.7601.23807
  Fault Module Timestamp:	5915f8e8
  Exception Code:	c0000374
  Exception Offset:	000ce8fb
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:	2057
  Additional Information 1:	e8ff
  Additional Information 2:	e8ff12d6fd96fe9ce74700c7ec68c15c
  Additional Information 3:	009c
  Additional Information 4:	009ccc54524977aa9944f36a46d91fc0
How can I possibly trust this app now? I am afraid to do anything in case it crashes, and worried that if it's messing with the registry at the time that's bye-bye PC. I regret purchasing this :(
Chemtable Software
Developers Team

Hello,

Does the crash occurs every time you are trying to open the Startup Applications tool?
UnhappyRRR

Post by UnhappyRRR »

Yes, completely repeatable. The only variable is how long it takes to crash: sometimes it is immediately and other times it takes a few seconds.
Chemtable Software
Developers Team

Please download the test application from the link below. It contains the separate registry tracing feature from Reg Organizer.
Extract the archive file contents and run the program RegistryTracingDemo.exe from there. When the progress bar come to the end, click Finish. This will emulate the registry tracing procedure. Will this program crash the same way as Reg Organizer do on your system?

The link to the test app:

https://yadi.sk/d/r7bFe18X3MTPvn