Miscellanous files during traced install

Questions and comments regarding Reg Organizer, Registry Life and Autorun Organizer.
Bclark

Miscellanous files during traced install

Post by Bclark »

How does the Uninstaller function of RO 5.40 handle “miscellaneous” files that are found in the Install Log when an application is traced during install?
For example, if I do a “dummy” install by just starting an application with tracing, waiting five minutes and then closing the install function without actually starting an application exe setup, what I see in the install log is “miscellaneous” files. These files apparently get opened during normal Windows activity. Some examples of these files are:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE …
HKEY_USERS …
C:\Program Data\Intuit\Common\Update Service …
C:\Program Data\Kaspersky Lab …
C:\Users\Bclark\Appdata\Roaming\Chemtable …
I see no problem with these “miscellaneous” files until the application is un-installed because what does RO 5.40 do with the files? It certainly couldn’t uninstall them because they are Windows Operating system related or belong to another application, as in the example above.
Thanks.
Bclark
Chemtable Software
Developers Team

Re: Miscellanous files during traced install

Post by Chemtable Software »

Most of these files are stay untouched because they are marked as "changed" - Reg Organizer's Application Uninstaller function does nothing with the changed files it detected. However the situation is possible, when the superfluous items are brought to the install log. Is this case they will be affected during uninstall. Please note, however, that Reg Organizer creates a system restore point before uninstalling an application using the change log.

Also to to make the installation of a new application with tracing more safely you may do the following:

- Close all other working applications when installing an application with tracing by Reg Organizer.
- Review the traces the program detected after installing the application to ensure that there are no superfluous items in the traces and remove them from there, if necessary.