Uninstall will not complete after reboot

Questions and comments regarding Soft Organizer
Kissol

Re: Uninstall will not complete after reboot

Post by Kissol »

jmjsquared wrote:Why do you suggest excluding this Key specifically? If Full Uninstall monitored installation accurately, couldn't leaving these Registry 'leftovers' cause conflicts?
In my experience when an uninstaller (snapshot based) clean [or try] some of these keys - after own uninstaller (I do this always) - sometimes comes out after reboot a warning like "a new hardware was found" and a wizard to help to install a new device appears. Once some of these keys require system permissions, is better - IMO - not try to clean them (some of them need 'system permissions', even Full Uninstall (or similar) can't remove totaly; but can remove partially with some unneeded results) . It's not a Full Uninstall problem at all; and aren't any conflicts that could arise with such excluded key. The system know what are doing when has such permission level (but can't fix the action of a bad own uninstaller)...

A exclude list by default is adviced: folders like Perfecht, winsxs, temp, keys like MRU, UserAssist, MUICache, etc. and others. The default exclude list used by Total Uninstall would be a very good beginning approach. Like said before, if experts dislike from such default feature - they can remove it...

And a good ignore list may allow a faster analizing process, and a smaller log to compare.
jmjsquared wrote:Of course, creation of a Backup Installer Executable would be ideal. Hey, I can ask for anything! I don't have to write the code. :lol:
I understand your point. However I think that is not the core goal of Full Uninstall (it isn't a backup app.); IMO it needs to be a simple but effective uninstaller without too much features; and to be used easily by a common user.

I agree with you - "we plan to add the delayed traces cleanup" about:

"I enjoyed watching Full Uninstall resume its install monitoring after reboot and, now, this will make a great tool even better!".

In fact Full Uninstall has the terms to be a great uninstaller, without need to be a complex app. to be used by advanced users only: that doesn't make sense! It will can be used to uninstall app. that need to reboot. Such feature is not supported by uninstallers like Comodo Programs Manager or Revo Uninstaller Pro: these app. can't - totaly - dealing with app. that require to reboot (that is crucial in a uninstaller); their concept is poor.

@ Konstantin Polyakov, please keep your good and serious work in this useful and effective application. And thanks for that.
jmjsquared

Post by jmjsquared »

@Kissol - I spent a good amount of time writing a detailed reply to your comments but then timed-out when posting it and can't take the time to re-write.
I appreciate a good discussion and will address your points (many, many of which are simply very wrong :) ) at a more appropriate time and place.
Perhaps you should create your own thread to share your opinions. :?:
In the meanwhile, please use MY thread to suggest solutions to MY problem.
Please feel free to PM me if you want to discuss your opinions separately.

Thanks for understanding.
Kissol

Post by Kissol »

jmjsquared wrote:Perhaps you should create your own thread to share your opinions. :?:
Thanks for your suggestion.

EDITED:

P.S.: To Moderators: The issue submitted in the first post is not related with Full Uninstall definitely: 1- The app. installed doesn't require reboot when uninstalling; 2- Poster did the same request in 'Comodo Programs Manager' forum... - :roll: - :o - :arrow: - [please see here...]. Issue resolved and mainly clarified.
- :!:
Last edited by Kissol on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jmjsquared

Post by jmjsquared »

You're welcome. I'll look for your tutorials.
jmjsquared

Post by jmjsquared »

Kissol wrote:
jmjsquared wrote:Perhaps you should create your own thread to share your opinions. :?:

Thanks for your suggestion.
EDITED:
P.S.: To Moderators: The issue submitted in the first post is not related with Full Uninstall definitely: 1- The app. installed doesn't require reboot when uninstalling; 2- Poster did the same request in 'Comodo Programs Manager' forum... - :roll: - :o - :arrow: - [please see here...]. Issue resolved and mainly clarified.
- :!:

@kissol - Not only are you full of bad advice and bad manners in earlier trying to hijack my thread but, you are also full of something else!
If you look at the dates of my posts, you will see that, only after not making progress here, I sought further help by going to the support forum of a rival software publisher who includes a device-driver-uninstall utility in its tool. Full Uninstall does not offer such a specific sub-tool in its utility and, therefore, despite Konstantin Polyakov's best efforts, would be limited in offering SPECIFIC guidance in addressing a DEVICE DRIVER'S uninstall problems.

My logic proved valid.

Now, contrary to your childishly vindictive assertions here's what REALLY transpired:
My problem began on June 10th USING ONLY FULL UNINSTALL. After two days of trying to sort things out myself, I posted here at Chemtable asking for help. Konstantin responded amazingly quickly but still not quickly enough for me. So, while waiting for his/outside help, I continued to help myself. Using SpinRite, I got the original hard drive working again, although, with more than six reallocated events recorded by HDTune in the three hours before its initial failure, it was ready for the garbage. That was the reason I replaced it with the cloned drive mentioned in my original post in the first place.

So, then, with my backup not booting, due to Full Uninstall's having removed "something" required to complete the subject driver's uninstallation across a reboot, in order to get that backup working again, I installed the rival uninstaller's program on the resuscitated HDD and put that into one of the several laptops I have just lying around, in this instance a Dell Inspiron 1545. You'll note, from my original post, that I use Acronis TrueImage to do my backups/clones and it permitted me to install that HDD to the slightly different hardware with no problem. Remember: I needed to be able to determine exactly what a third-party's uninstaller does at removal-across-reboot and, it turns out, I was absolutely correct in trying this approach. The Mobile Device Driver was still installed on that HDD (as explained in my original post) and so, I proceeded to uninstall it using the rival's utility. HOWEVER, in order to mimic Full Uninstall's routine, this time I DID NOT disable the driver in Services prior to uninstall.

Originally, Full Uninstall had run the driver's native uninstaller, as expected and advertised. HOWEVER, when I allowed it to remove all traces PRIOR TO REBOOT, it also removed an executable (a trace) that was going to be called at boot-time to finish the uninstall. hen that executable could not be found, my system "froze". Similar to a good anti-malware program, Microsoft designed its Mobile Device Driver uninstaller to finish its work BEFORE the OS fully booted. Of course, that could not happen because a "piece" of the driver's uninstaller had already been deleted and, so, Windows could not proceed!

Sure enough, when I used the rival's device-driver-specific uninstaller AND removed traces BEFORE reboot, the same problem recurred. HOWEVER, since the rival's uninstaller is designed to create a backup for reinstallation (two files, in fact) this time I had some idea of where to begin to look for the problem. Apparently, unlike Full Uninstall's routine, this rival's program does not rely exclusively on the native uninstaller for across-boot activity; rather, it uses its own executable which refers to the aforementioned two-files to complete its job at reboot. When, with the help of a Moderator at the rival company's support Forum, I located and removed the rival-specific executable, I got the "old" system working again; ie., I could get into Windows and cleanup the driver's 'partial' uninstall.

Only then did I tackle the "real" system, which is NOT the system to which you so happily and foolishly refer.

DependencyWalker and Nirsoft's UserAssistView made it relatively easy to do a little forensics on the system I originally posted about and follow the path that Microsoft's native uninstaller WOULD HAVE REFERENCED at reboot.... if it had not been deleted by Full Uninstall as a "trace". I used those two tools on the "old" system, located the offending file and, then, deleted it from the "real" system and broke the freeze. So far, no loss of data, programs nor anything else. And, unlike with the system you mis-refer to, no broken antivirus or email programs because, IF YOU HAD READ CAREFULLY, you would have seen that I DID not do the same things mentioned here!
THERE WERE TWO SEPARATE MACHINES USING TWO DIFFERENT PRODUCTS!

Again, I must compliment myself for my ingenuity, otherwise, I probably would never have gotten thE "real" system working again. Fact is, the Microsoft uninstaller refers to an executable named "setup.exe" located in the Windows folder and there is NO WAY I would have ever figured that out without following the course I did.

I have taken the time to explain myself here only out of respect for Konstantin Polyakov and his much appreciated efforts to help me. For you, I have nothing but contempt. You should always check your facts three times --or more-- before speaking ill of another. The fact that you post meaningless drivel that is so full of mistakes, misinformation and pandering nonsense is almost forgiveable. But, your cowardly use of the veil of the Internet to slander another, to me, makes you worthy of no more than two words: Go away!