Where is the record of traced changes saved?

Questions and comments regarding Soft Organizer
ChemTJ

Where is the record of traced changes saved?

Post by ChemTJ »

When installing a program with tracing enabled, SO generates a list of changes in the Registry and file system. That is very important information to me. I would like to be able to protect it in case of hard disk malfunction or infection.

Therefore, today I searched for a file that was updated each time a new installation is traced, with the intention of having the updated version of the file sent to my cloud backup storage whenever it changed. However, I couldn't find anything on the system that appeared to be such a file. Neither could I find a set of keys in the Registry which seemed to contain that information.

Please advise where SO is storing this information, so that I can back it up more often than I backup the entire system.
Chemtable Software
Developers Team

Re: Where is the record of traced changes saved?

Post by Chemtable Software »

Hello,

The traced applications logs are stored in the folder:

%localappdata%\ChemTable Software\Full Uninstall\ChangeLogs

You may paste this path to the Windows Explorer's address bar. Under Windows 7/8/Vista the absolute path will look like:

C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\ChemTable Software\Full Uninstall\ChangeLogs

The Traces subfolder does not contains the traced applications data and may be excluded in case of backing up the above folder.
TPC

Re: Where is the record of traced changes saved?

Post by TPC »

ChemTJ wrote:When installing a program with tracing enabled, SO generates a list of changes in the Registry and file system. That is very important information to me. I would like to be able to protect it in case of hard disk malfunction or infection.

Therefore, today I searched for a file that was updated each time a new installation is traced, with the intention of having the updated version of the file sent to my cloud backup storage whenever it changed. However, I couldn't find anything on the system that appeared to be such a file. Neither could I find a set of keys in the Registry which seemed to contain that information.

Please advise where SO is storing this information, so that I can back it up more often than I backup the entire system.
Here's two small scripts, backup+restore for soft organizer..
They will backup+restore EVERYTHING the software logs on installed software.

To backup.. create file with .bat extension, eg. soft_organizer_backup.bat
open it with notepad or whatever is your favourite editor, and paste the following lines in there+save it.
edit "C:\TEMP\" with your preferred drive+directory .. if the directory doesn't exist,it will be created.

Code: Select all

@echo off
xcopy "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\ChemTable Software" C:\TEMP\Chemtable\Local /E /I /R /K /Y
xcopy "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\ChemTable Software\Full Uninstall" C:\TEMP\Chemtable\Roaming /E /I /R /K /Y

rem xcopy flags: /E = copy all directories and subdirectories, including empty ones.
rem xcopy flags: /I = if destination directory does not exist,create it
rem xcopy flags: /R = overwrite read-only files
rem xcopy flags: /K = copy directory/file attributes
rem xcopy flags: /Y = overwrite existing files without confirmation

rem ignore list is at: "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\ChemTable Software\Full Uninstall\AppUninstIgnore.xml"
To restore the files, create a file called:
soft_organizer_restore.bat

and paste the following lines in there, again editing "C:\TEMP" to point in the directory which you chose on the earlier script..

Code: Select all

@echo off
xcopy C:\TEMP\Chemtable\Local "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\ChemTable Software" /E /I /R /K /Y
xcopy C:\TEMP\Chemtable\Roaming "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\ChemTable Software\Full Uninstall" /E /I /R /K /Y
you can use those to backup+restore all your traces and ignore lists, while waiting for the developers to add these features
in the application.. (hopefully) ..