program to install requires windows reboot

Questions and comments regarding Soft Organizer
whitefly

program to install requires windows reboot

Post by whitefly »

Hello Anton Maksimov,

Please could you explain what to do if the program being installed requires windows to be rebooted before it will work? For example Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware requires windows to be rebooted so that I cannot run it before full uninstall finishes. Completing full uninstall would not correctly detect settings.
Anton Maksimov
Developers Team

Re: program to install requires windows reboot

Post by Anton Maksimov »

Thanks for your question!

The current version can't track changes during installation, which requires a reboot. We are already working on this problem. This ability will be available in a future version of the program.
georgie

Post by georgie »

Same still with 1.09

georgie
Chemtable Software
Developers Team

Post by Chemtable Software »

In the latest version the tracking changes procedure can be performed in background. This means that you may reboot the system during the installation of the new application and finalize this procedure after reboot. To do this you need to close the Install an Application window during tracing changes and and select an option to continue tracing in background.
jmjsquared

Post by jmjsquared »

--- The ability to trace an installation, even through a reboot, is a GREAT feature. Your advertising, Features List and Help File (Ver. 1.09) should explain this better.

--- What about uninstalling an application that requires a reboot; for example, iTunes? Should we complete Full Uninstall's routine or should we allow the app's uninstaller to force a reboot?
* If the answer is "Yes", then, is there a way to have Full Unistall resume after reboot?
** If the answer is "No", then, could a future version of Full Uninstall include a such a feature?

Thanks.
Chemtable Software
Developers Team

In such situation you need to select an option to reboot later, allow Full Uninstall to finish the removal procedure and then reboot your system.
jmjsquared

Post by jmjsquared »

Konstantin Polyakov wrote:In such situation you need to select an option to reboot later, allow Full Uninstall to finish the removal procedure and then reboot your system.
In light of what I described in this post viewtopic.php?f=6&t=461 is this recommendation still valid?

Am eagerly looking forward to the release after 2.11 that includes monitoring uninstallation across a reboot.

All the best.
Chemtable Software
Developers Team

jmjsquared wrote:
Konstantin Polyakov wrote:In such situation you need to select an option to reboot later, allow Full Uninstall to finish the removal procedure and then reboot your system.
In light of what I described in this post viewtopic.php?f=6&t=461 is this recommendation still valid?
This issue is not fully investigated and anyway this was an exception to the rule. Uninstalling a program with reboot should not lead to the system crash, of course.
jmjsquared wrote: Am eagerly looking forward to the release after 2.11 that includes monitoring uninstallation across a reboot.

All the best.
I think the term "monitoring uninstall" is not suitable here at all. I would rather say delayed traces removal, as no monitoring will be performed during the uninstall. The sense of the feature is that you'll be able to uninstall the program with the ability to reboot, whereupon return to Full Uninstall and remove the traces left by the application.
jmjsquared

Post by jmjsquared »

I think the term "monitoring uninstall" is not suitable here at all. I would rather say delayed traces removal, as no monitoring will be performed during the uninstall. The sense of the feature is that you'll be able to uninstall the program with the ability to reboot, whereupon return to Full Uninstall and remove the traces left by the application.
Okay. That "delayed traces removal" makes more sense to me than what I thought the updated FullUninstall was going to attempt to do.
As of version 2.11, if one uninstalls a program using, for example, Windows 7's Programs and Features, whether monitored or not, FullUninstall cannot "double-check" afterwards for traces. Do I understand correctly that the next version will retain its own install/uninstall info that will "survive" an app's native uninstaller and be able to remove any leftovers, even after a reboot?
This issue is not fully investigated and anyway this was an exception to the rule. Uninstalling a program with reboot should not lead to the system crash, of course.
I beg to differ. In researching solutions to the problem linked to above, I came across several posts on Techspot.com, SevenForums.com, etc., by expert computer users who were looking for help in solving similar problems. Especially with drivers, whether installing or uninstalling, not rebooting when asked to can and often does result in serious problems. Besides, like in most things, it's the unexpected "exception to the rule" that causes the trickiest problems.
Chemtable Software
Developers Team

jmjsquared wrote: As of version 2.11, if one uninstalls a program using, for example, Windows 7's Programs and Features, whether monitored or not, FullUninstall cannot "double-check" afterwards for traces. Do I understand correctly that the next version will retain its own install/uninstall info that will "survive" an app's native uninstaller and be able to remove any leftovers, even after a reboot?
We look on this feature in a bit differ way. During the uninstall of a certain program 'Program 5.0' via Full Uninstall the users will be able to close it. When they open Full Uninstall again, they will see a record "Program 5.0 traces" and may proceed to removing that traces. And I think we need to take into consideration the situation similar to yours and write in the Full Uninstall's uninstaller window that if the program requires reboot during the uninstall, you should reboot before the traces cleanup.

If a program was removed outside of Full Uninstall it will be still visible there during a week or two, but only in case in was installed with tracing. The ability to store the change logs of the removed programs will be added a bit later than the next version according to our roadmap.
I beg to differ. In researching solutions to the problem linked to above, I came across several posts on Techspot.com, SevenForums.com, etc., by expert computer users who were looking for help in solving similar problems. Especially with drivers, whether installing or uninstalling, not rebooting when asked to can and often does result in serious problems. Besides, like in most things, it's the unexpected "exception to the rule" that causes the trickiest problems.
Hope the changes to the program described above will allow to avoid the issues like one you experienced.