Find who changed a file

Questions and comments regarding Soft Organizer
jstampfel

Find who changed a file

Post by jstampfel »

In addition to being able to uninstall Soft Organizer is great for tracking which installs left what or changed what on my computer. Now a new antivirus/malware detector has told me that something undesirable is present. If I remove whatever it is, or quarantine it, something may break. I'd like to know what so I can tell if the program broke or malware was added in parallel to the change (i.e., not part of the program I installed.)

Is there a way to search all the changes files or have Soft Organizer do the search to find a particular file or registry entry and tell me which install was going on.
What is the encoding of the changes files?
Chemtable Software
Developers Team

Re: Find who changed a file

Post by Chemtable Software »

No, it is not possible to search for the particular file or registry entry thorough the Soft Organizer's change logs.
Change logs are stored in the internal binary format.
jstampfel

Post by jstampfel »

As this is clearly a valuable function and consistent with the use of a full uninstall, could you please add this search capability to SoftOrganizer.
Chemtable Software
Developers Team

Post by Chemtable Software »

Thank you for the suggestion, we'll consider adding such feature.
jstampfel

Post by jstampfel »

Any update on this idea. I am hoping and hoping.

Can you please provide an explanation of how the ignore lists work. Are they specific to a particular install, or general across all installs? Can they be edited?
Jiyahana

Post by Jiyahana »

Search for specific files or registry entries. To find who changed a file, examine soft organizer log. File changes are typically recorded in plain text format.